Sunday, April 26, 2009

Being A Refugee

With the flooding and chaos and the sewer system collapsing in our "beloved" Valley City, North Dakota, my boyfriend and I decided to obstain from being a futher burden on the city and it's crews and retreat to our families homes. We spent a week in Washburn with Stephen's family and when he left for Anaheim, California for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) for the Delta Epsilon Chi competition on this past Tuesday, I headed to my hometown of good ole Portland, North Dakota. He joined me here today after I retrieved him from the Fargo airport and drove through the pouring rain back home. (Like rain is all we need to add to the already existing wonderful conditions right?! Nah, but the snow we got this evening and throughout the night is definitely not asked for.) We're going to hang out here for this week then it's one more trip to Washburn for Stephen's brothers' confirmation and then hopefully home to the wonderful apartment which we have not spent any time in for about a month now. Ok, maybe just 2 1/2 weeks but that's still a long time to be away from your home and the comfort of your own bed.

I love seeing our families and being able to spend time with the people I love, especially since we do not see them so oftern, but I also miss the comforts of my own house. I miss being able to just lounge around without being asked to do something or be in someones way, I miss sleeping in my own bed, and most of all, I miss my own bathroom (sharing a bathroom with my two teenage brothers (who are kind of slobs) is NOT my idea of a "vacation"). At least I do not have to use the porta potties that now occupy the streets of Valley City. I love camping and I love being outdoors but I draw the line at porta potties; they just give me the willies. I have enjoyed spending time with family and friends, but I cannot wait to return to my own home.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I cant wait to get back either, I had to go back and get my stuff out, and (this was two days ago) that they still made people use porta-potties and there was still national guard everywhere, patrolling the school. War zone, I cant imagine how long its going to be to take the dikes down.

    ReplyDelete