Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Issue With Today's Society

Stephen and I went and saw "I Love You, Man" in theaters for a date yesterday and I have to say one thing...really?! I mean, is the movie industry seriously that hard up for ideas that they have to resort to such poor content quality? Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious and I enjoy slap-stick comedy every now and then just as much as the next person but I don't think movies need to be that crude or distasteful. When you get embarrassed WATCHING the movie play out, you know it's bad. My dad discouraged us from going to see it, but there wasn't another film showing at that particular theater that Stephen wanted to see. I personally think Hollywood has to reevaluate their morals and the messages they are portraying to the youth and the general population of today's society. When every other word in a film is a cuss word or referring to sex of some sort, I think it's sending the wrong message.

People wonder why violence, sex, drugs and cussing are such major issues in today's society. They should take a gander at the films that the youth and general population are watching today. No matter what movie you choose to see you'll see smoking, drinking, sex, drugs, swearing, and violence. It's ridiculous the amount of exposure we get on a daily basis. Whether from the news or films or video games. We're exposed every second of everyday except in our sleep and it's really quite scary if you think about it. I believe our society and everything in it really needs to be reevaluated and we need to start over fresh.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Hollywood is going to far sometimes with the movies that they are producing. It seems like the producers will go to any length just to make money! I think they need to realize that they are a big influence on society today, especially the youth. If young people are seeing drugs, violence, and bad language on the big screen, I feel they are at a high risk of acting that out. That could lead to a lot of dangerous situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Elise! It is kind of disturbing how far Hollywood has gone to get a "shock value" out of its viewers. There are some things that are funny, but movie makers need to get off of this recent swing of plain crude humor. I really agree with you on that we really are bombarded everyday with these less than appealing actions in everyday media. We have grown up with all of this surrounding us and we wonder what is wrong with the world. I fear as to how much further media sources are willing to take this "lack of regulation" and what will be considered crude and vulgar in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I feel this way, too! All the "comedies" coming out are filled to the brim with vulgar content (unless they're being geared towards children, in which case they're toned down a bit).
    I wonder what the filmmakers were saying to each other when they were writing the script together...

    Somewhere, in a hot, stuffy office in Hollywood, two writers sit at a desk, writing and spitballing for the latest comedy romp:
    Writer #1
    "Whoops. We forgot to make sense of anything in this scene. What should we do?"
    Writer #2
    "Oh, it's okay, we'll just thrown in an oral sex joke and everyone will be too busy laughing to realize how many plot holes there are."
    Writer #1
    "Brilliant!Say, should we cut down the number of f-words from 154 f-bombs to 120 f-bombs? I think we went a little overboard."

    Okay, I was more entertained writing that than watching most of the comedy (and I use that term lightly) coming out today.

    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: Good post!

    ReplyDelete